My boyfriend and I recently got back to Brisbane from a stint at MBFW in Sydney, courtesy of a RUSSH Magazine/Miroslav internship. I don't wish to rave about it too much, but here are some of the irrelevant conclusions I've drawn:
- Comfort > style! I had to ditch le heels merely hours in to do a runner (read: pain-induced hobble) and hit up the closest shoe shop for flats. French Connection fortunately had some glittery loafers in my size. I approve.
- Ruby Rose cops a bit of flack, but she's a cool gal. After almost being knocked over by yours truly, she hit up the seedy port-a-loo and then asked for a photo beside it.
- Gary Pepper Vintage has a very handsome boyfriend who doubles as her photographer. She also did Tallulah proud as a guest model. I'm a big fan.
- Tommy Ton seems oh so adorable (in a huggable, teddy bear kind of way).
- When you're advised by one of your authorities to help yourself to the drinks fridge, you do it.
- Models still smoke. They also chat to the nearby security guards and wear mismatching fluoro sneakers.
- I wasn't allowed to take photos. Wah! If you know me personally, you'll understand how frustrating this was. (I did sneak some though...)
- Amanda Ware, winner of AusNTM '11, is so damn nice and down to earth.
- Speaking of which, divas are so passé. The best part of the week was seeing stylish somebodies smiling, laughing and exuding an all-round gist of excitement. Fashion is supposed to be fun, folk!
- The International Passengers Terminal is a perfect location for fashion week frenzy, set between the Harbour's serene crystal waters and The Rocks' delicious eating/drinking precinct.
- The Bec + Bridge flower backdrop was authentic, and smelt divine.
- Are children the new accessory du jour? I spotted babies being juggled by front row VIPs and runways being trampled upon by children, while the Toi et Moi show even kicked off with a French tune sung by a pre-teen cutie pie.
- I had a ball.
The fashion spectacle may be over for Sydney for now but I'm excited that Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival Brisbane is kicking off in a couple of months (specifically Saturday 25-Friday 31 August - jot it in your diaries!). I am a firm champion of Brisbane and all of it's offerings, especially those of which are style and fashion related, like MBFF. Stay tuned for more deets, it's going to be fun!